![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Saturday, October 31, 1998 Published at 10:06 GMT World: Americas US defence Secretary urges openess on North Korea The United States Defence Secretary, William Cohen, has urged North Korea to allow inspections of a suspect underground site to reduce regional tensions. Mr Cohen, speaking at the start of an Asia-Pacific tour to underline America's committment to maintaining its military presence, said that Pyongyang should show it is keeping to the terms of a deal not to develop nuclear weapons. But he said that so far it had only agreed to allow an American visit for talks on the issue in November. North Korea agreed in l994 to freeze its nuclear programme in return for international help in developing peaceful nuclear power. Pyongyang says that Washington has been slow to keep its part of the bargain in supplying fuel oil. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||