Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Saturday, October 31, 1998 Published at 02:09 GMT


World: Africa

Kenyan children and adults kidnapped in raid


The authorities in Kenya have been giving more details about a clash between nomadic groups in the remote north of the country which left more than one-hundred-and-forty people dead.

The provincial commissioner Morris Makhanu told Kenyan radio that thirty-eight children and fifty-eight adults were still missing, presumed kidnapped by tribesmen following the attack on the town of Warri earlier this week.

He said fifteen thousand animals were also taken.

The minister for internal security Marsden Madoka said the attack was executed with military precision.

The Kenyan government is investigating whether Ethiopian guerillas from the Oromo Liberation Front were involved, and has sent the army to the area to find survivors.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia


In this section

Dam builders charged in bribery scandal

Burundi camps 'too dire' to help

Sudan power struggle denied

Animal airlift planned for Congo

Spy allegations bug South Africa

Senate leader's dismissal 'a good omen'

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Zimbabwe constitution: Just a bit of paper?

South African gays take centre stage

Nigeria's ruling party's convention

UN to return to Burundi

Bissau military hold fire

Nile basin agreement on water cooperation

Congo Brazzaville defends peace initiative

African Media Watch

Liberia names new army chief