Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Friday, October 30, 1998 Published at 21:41 GMT


Business: The Company File

'Unsafe' rig closed down


An oil rig working in the Norwegian sector of the North Sea has been ordered to close down after allegations that safety and working conditions have been breached.

It is understood to be the first time an entire oil rig has been shut down in the North Sea because of allegedly poor working conditions.

Saga Petroleum told Noble Drilling of Aberdeen temporarily to cease drilling operations on the Noble Al White rig.

Saga, based at Sandvika in Norway, said the decision was made after an inspection and reports from Norwegian trade unions that workers ate and slept in unhygienic quarters and were subjected to sexual harassment and racist treatment.

One worker is quoted in the Oslo Dagbladet newspaper criticising the conditions on board.

He said: "I've worked in the North Sea for 20 years, but I've never seen anything like it. The rig is like a pigsty and I'm worried about my health."

He also claimed the rig's ventilation system was faulty, including areas where hazardous chemicals are stored, and that bathrooms and toilets were not properly cleaned.

He said a worker had been bullied daily by his boss, and that Portuguese workers were subjected to racial discrimination. Female catering staff suffered sexual harassment, Mr Boe added.

Saga said the rig would be shut down as soon as possible when it is safe to do so and added: "Saga takes the reported assertions very seriously and is now working to throw full light on the conditions on board.

"This means that one will be looking at the drilling contractor's observance of regulations and contractual requirements and on Saga's own follow-up of contractors."

An Aberdeen spokesman for Texas-based Noble Drilling said the 100 crew members - Norwegians, Portuguese and Britons - would stay on board while Saga carries out its investigation.

He said: "These allegations are taken very seriously irrespective of the issues being factual or not and Noble Drilling will re-emphasise its procedures and policies and have taken action accordingly.

"In the process, Noble Drilling will work closely with all parties concerned."

He added that "constructive and open discussions" had taken place with Norwegian authorities and Saga Petroleum.

A spokesman for the Health and Safety Executive in London said it was aware of the situation.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


The Company File Contents

Internet Links


Saga Petroleum

Health and Safety Executive Offshore Safety Division

Norwegian Oil and Petrochemical Workers' Union


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Microsoft trial mediator welcomed

Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Christmas turkey strike vote

NatWest bid timetable frozen

France faces EU action over electricity

Pace enters US cable heartland

Mannesmann fights back

Storehouse splits up Mothercare and Bhs

The rapid rise of Vodafone

The hidden shopping bills

Europe's top net stock

Safeway faces cash demand probe

Mitchell intervenes to help shipyard

New factory creates 500 jobs

Drugs company announces 300 jobs

BT speeds internet access

ICL creates 1,000 UK jobs

National Power splits in two

NTT to slash workforce

Scoot links up with Vivendi

New freedom for Post Office

Insolvent firms to get breathing space

Airtours profits jump 12%

Freeserve shares surge

LVMH buys UK auction house

Rover - a car firm's troubles