![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Friday, October 30, 1998 Published at 14:22 GMT World: Africa South Africa troops begin partial pull-out from Lesotho South Africa says it's withdrawing fourteen-hundred troops sent to Lesotho last month following an army mutiny and prolonged anti-government protests. Military officials said the intervention force was being reduced to just over two-thousand because relative peace had been restored in Lesotho. The opposition demonstrations were in protest over alleged rigging in elections in May last year. Talks between the Lesotho government and opposition have resulted in an agreement to hold fresh elections within eighteen months. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||