Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Friday, October 30, 1998 Published at 13:22 GMT


Entertainment

Fawcett's ex-boyfriend on probation for attack

Farrah Fawcett: Ex-boyfriend tried to choke her during row

Actress Farrah Fawcett's ex-boyfriend has been sentenced to three years' probation for beating her up during a fight at his California mansion.

Producer and director James Orr, whose credits include Three Men and a Baby, was also ordered to do 100 hours of community service, attend a counselling programme and pay $500 to a domestic violence fund by a court in Santa Monica.

He had faced a maximum sentence of a year in prison and a $6,000 fine.

Orr was accused of pushing the 51-year-old former Charlie's Angels star down, slamming her head to the driveway and trying to choke her during a fight that followed a row.


Pavarotti feels "well" despite health fears


[ image: Luciano Pavarotti: Says he is feeling well]
Luciano Pavarotti: Says he is feeling well
Opera giant Luciano Pavarotti, recuperating from surgery at an Italian spa, says he feels "very well" following his treatment.

"I was just out to walk in the mountains; I just returned. I used a cane. If you walk in the mountains, go up and down, you must have the cane," said the 63-year-old tenor.

Retirement rumours were rife last week when he cancelled three concerts planned for November saying he needed more time to recover from hip and knee replacement surgery he had in the summer.


Hewitt for Hepburn role


[ image: Audrey Hepburn: Her life story will be told in new film]
Audrey Hepburn: Her life story will be told in new film
The role of Audrey Hepburn in a film about her life and career is to be played by Jennifer Love Hewitt, who stars in the TV series Party of Five.

The 19-year-old, who also appeared in the horror film, I Know What You Did Last Summer, has been dubbed "Hollywood's sweetheart of 1998".

Pundits are watching her big break closely.

"Hollywood is watching with fingers crossed to see whether she's going to live up to the claims being made for her by her formidably loyal admiration society," says Movieline magazine.


Hollywood's trip into space


[ image: John Glenn: Celebrity backing for the oldest man in space]
John Glenn: Celebrity backing for the oldest man in space
Some of Hollywood's biggest stars were at Cape Canaveral, Florida, on Thursday night to see astronaut John Glenn become the oldest man to blast off into space.

Titanic heart-throb Leonardo DiCaprio, Apollo 13 star Tom Hanks and Babylon 5 stalwart Bruce Boxleitner were crammed into the VIP viewing area.

They were joined by superstar directors Steven Spielberg and James Cameron, rock group Aerosmith and boxing champ Evander Holyfield.


Redford gets behind the screen


[ image: Robert Redford: Wants to showcase independent films at his cinemas]
Robert Redford: Wants to showcase independent films at his cinemas
Horse Whisperer star Robert Redford is planning to set up a chain of art house cinemas to cater for the more intellectual end of the market.

Redford is opening them under the name of Sundance Cinemas. The first outlet is due to be built in Philadelphia, very near a major university.

The chain of cinemas is being seen as a way for Redford to showcase new films which appear on screen during his own Sundance Film Festival, which profiles the best independent movies each January.


Hurt mows across America

Actor John Hurt is to play a 73-year-old man who decides to ride across America on his lawn mower in director David Lynch's next film.

The British actor accepted the role in The Straight Story after Gregory Peck turned it down. Sissy Spacek is to play character Alvin Straight's daughter.

Hurt worked successfully with Lynch on the multi-Oscar-nominated movie The Elephant Man, the moving true story of monstrously disfigured John Merrick.


No job, no girlfriend - and no drugs for Sheen

Charlie Sheen has revealed he shares his experiences of drugs rehabilitation with similarly troubled stars Robert Downey Jr and Christian Slater.

"We talk frequently. We are all casualties of young LA," said Sheen, who is four months into his treatment.

"I do not have a girlfriend, I am out of work and I am in treatment. But I am happy. It has not been easy and I don't expect it to get easier when I finish treatment," said the Hot Shots! star.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


Entertainment Contents

Showbiz
Music
Film
Arts
TV and Radio
New Media
Reviews

Relevant Stories

30 Oct 98 | Sci/Tech
Faulty panel blots perfect lift-off

29 Oct 98 | John Glenn
What risk is Glenn running?

03 Sep 98 | Entertainment
Redford to boost women's Internet interest

19 Aug 98 | Entertainment
Fawcett's ex-boyfriend found guilty of assault

13 Aug 98 | Entertainment
Farrah in court drama

07 Jul 98 | Entertainment
The real horse-whisperer speaks out





Internet Links


Celebsite: Farrah Fawcett

Angelic Heaven: Charlie's Angels fan site

Love Hewitt.com

The Official Audrey Hepburn Web Site

Sundance Film Festival 1999


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.