![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Friday, October 30, 1998 Published at 10:54 GMT
Blackburn bag Blake ![]() Take-off: Blake is due to touch down at Ewood Park Blackburn have completed the signing of Bolton striker Nathan Blake after missing out on Coventry's Dion Dublin. The two clubs agreed a fee of £4.2m and Blackburn hope to give the Welsh international a debut in the Premiership clash at Wimbledon on Saturday. Blake admitted he would have to find his scoring boots as soon as possible to edge in front of fellow Rovers' strikers Chris Sutton, Kevin Gallacher and Kevin Davies. "I need to score as many goals as possible as quickly as possible," he said. "It took me only minutes to make my mind up. This was a deal that just fell into my lap. Everything about Blackburn impresses me - the club, the stadium, the facilities and the manager. "I have jumped at the chance and I have no problem with it whatsoever. I felt I did okay in the Premiership last season when I was part of a team that did not expect to be relegated. "I know all about the competition here and the quality of the other strikers but that doesn't worry me and if I get picked to play at Wimbledon I'll be going all out for a goal." Coventry fury as Blake changes mind The Blake signing is just the latest twist in a transfer wrangle involving Blackburn and Coventry. Blackburn turned their attention to Blake following their bitter disappointment in failing to capture Dublin. But their swoop for Blake has in turn angered Coventry, who believed the striker was on his way to Highfield Road: "We had a firm agreement with Bolton and it was not conditional on Dion going to Blackburn," said Coventry chairman Bryan Richardson. "Then yesterday they said they were going to talk with Blake's agent and straight away we knew what was going to happen. "Everything had been confirmed and they gave us 72 hours just to see what was happening with Dublin, but it was never conditional on Dublin leaving." But Blake was unapologetic about his decision: "There has been a lot of speculation concerning both Wimbledon and Coventry," he said, "but I was just sitting at home last night when I got a phone call telling me that Blackburn were interested. "An hour later I was sitting down with Roy Hodgson. It came right out of the blue, but from the moment I knew Blackburn were interested I felt it was certain to go through, providing there was no problem with personal terms. "I'm just happy everything's been sorted so quickly and although I don't usually let speculation get to me it was starting to do my head in." Dublin deal disappoints Rovers Blackburn in turn are fuming over the Dublin saga. The England striker looked set to join the Ewood Park club when their £6.75m bid was accepted by Coventry. Blackburn chief executive John Williams said: "It is disappointing and I just want our fans to know that we have made every effort. "Roy Hodgson tried very hard to persuade Dion while we did our part with the unstinting backing of Jack Walker. "But while this is a great business to be in it is a hard business also and things don't always go your way." |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||