Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Friday, October 30, 1998 Published at 11:58 GMT


UK

Golf clubs face equal rights battle

Men-only bars could be barred under new proposals

The Equal Opportunities Commission is urging the government to change the law to stamp out sexism in golf clubs.


The BBC's James Pearce reports on the threat to golfing traditions
Some clubs do not allow women members, while others have men-only areas and restrict the time that women can play.

The move comes after the historic decision by the Marylebone Cricket Club last month to admit women.

The Lord's-based MCC buckled with threats of losing vital lottery cash if it continued to exclude women.

Now the EOC wants private members clubs to treat women the same as men as part of a comprehensive overhaul of sex discrimination laws.


[ image: Tee'd off: Women golfers want equal access to the greens]
Tee'd off: Women golfers want equal access to the greens
Private members clubs that admit both sexes are currently excluded from the Sex Discrimination Act.

At Warley Park Golf Club in Essex women are banned from the course on a Saturday morning until 11am.

Now women members want change.

Linda Beaney said: "You have to be here on the dot of 1100 and then you might just be lucky enough to get 18 holes in.

"I think if one is prepared to pay the same subscription as the men who are allowed to go out earlier, women should be allowed too."

At the moment women who work during the week have to pay for a seven-day ladies membership, just to play for two afternoons at the weekend.

The club has little sympathy with their complaints.


[ image: Stephen Greene: People are aware of the restrictions]
Stephen Greene: People are aware of the restrictions
Stephen Greene, managing director of Warley Park, said: "People are aware of the restrictions we have at the club, whether it be for ladies or colts, or whatever and people join knowing those restrictions."

Some clubs still refuse to admit any women at all and others have men-only bars.

A large number of clubs bare a close resemblance to that portrayed in Audi's TV car commercial. The tongue-in-cheek advert shows male golfers, who, it is implied, are not Audi drivers, speaking out against women.

The EOC, which has received hundreds of complaints about golf clubs, wants to bring all strands of sex discrimination, including the Sex Discrimination Act, Equal Pay Act, European directives and case law together.

Spokeswoman Kim Scanlon said: "The Sex Discrimination Act has been around for nearly 20 years and the complaints are increasing in this area.


[ image: Men may have to make way on the fairway]
Men may have to make way on the fairway
"Women in the workplace are getting greater opportunities - why shouldn't this extend to their leisure time?"

If the government accepts this argument, golfing traditions built up over more than a century will have to be abolished.

But some golfers will certainly not go down without a fight.

Last year Coronation Street actor Johnny Briggs outraged female golfers by accusing them of offences ranging from ignorance of the rules and etiquette of the game to "taking over everything like cockroaches".

Women golfers, he concluded in an article in Shires Golfer, were a pain.

Their presence on the tee and in the committee room was "an abomination".

Rachael Heyhoe Flint, former international cricketer and a member of South Staffordshire Golf Club retorted: "Honestly, it's sad and pathetic.

"It's not even accurate. The one thing women are strong on is etiquette, the rules and behaviour on the course."





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England

Relevant Stories

28 Sep 98 | UK
MCC opens doors to women





Internet Links


Equal Opportunities Commission

Golfweb


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online