Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Friday, October 30, 1998 Published at 13:03 GMT


World: Asia-Pacific

Indonesia denies East Timor troop build-up

Indonesia says it has cut troop numbers in East Timor

The Indonesian military has denied reports that troop numbers in East Timor are higher than officially stated.


Matt Fry: "Evidence suggests that the army is building up, not scaling down"
Confidential Indonesian documents confirmed as authentic by Western diplomatic sources, show there were 18,000 Indonesian military personnel in East Timor as recently as mid-August, when the authorities said the total was 12,000.


[ image:  ]
The figures also show that a large proportion of these troops are specifically for combat, despite a pledge by Indonesia to withdraw all such troops several months ago.

But Indonesia - which is trying to negotiate a UN-sponsored peace deal with Portugal, East Timor's former colonial master - claims it has reduced troop numbers.

The head of the Indonesian armed forces, General Wiranto, dismissed the figure given in the leaked documents as a lie.

He accused those disseminating such information of being irresponsible and trying to disturb the peace process in East Timor.

Official figure remains mystery


Foreign ministry spokesman Ghaffar Fadyl questions the report's authenticity
However, speaking to journalists at his headquarters, the general gave no figures for the troops currently in East Timor.

"Information such as that is misleading and is only engineered by irresponsible parties to disturb the comprehensive and peaceful settlement of the East Timor problem," he said.


Nobel Peace Prize winner Jose Rames-Horta: "Indonesia knowingly lied to the international community"
But East Timor's military chief of staff, Lieutenant Colonel Supadi, was reported as saying that the number of troops in the troubled territory stands at 15,000 after 1,000 men were withdrawn in July and August.

He told the Associated Press news agency this includes 5,000 engineers, troops engaged in community development work and medical teams.

More than 200,000 dead


[ image: Timorese want independence]
Timorese want independence
Indonesia annexed East Timor in 1976 after invading the island the previous year. As a result of 23 years of occupation, more than 200,000 Timorese have been killed by soldiers, disease or hunger.

After the removal of President Suharto earlier this year, the new Indonesian Government, under BJ Habibie, said it wanted to pursue a new policy towards East Timor.

There was to be a greater emphasis on the search for a political settlement, and troop withdrawals to ease tensions.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

29 Oct 98 | Asia-Pacific
Indonesia's hollow claims

28 Oct 98 | Asia-Pacific
East Timor still fighting for freedom after Suharto

14 Oct 98 | Asia-Pacific
East Timor leader doubts troop pullout

14 Jun 98 | SPECIAL REPORT
East Timor - Key facts and background





Internet Links


Timor Today

Department of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Indonesia

Free East Timor


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Indonesia rules out Aceh independence

DiCaprio film trial begins

Millennium sect heads for the hills

Uzbekistan voices security concerns

From Business
Chinese imports boost US trade gap

ICRC visits twelve Burmese jails

Falintil guerillas challenge East Timor peackeepers

Malaysian candidates named

North Korea expels US 'spy'

Holbrooke to arrive in Indonesia

China warns US over Falun Gong

Thais hand back Cambodian antiques