Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Friday, October 30, 1998 Published at 14:22 GMT


World: Middle East

Israel doubts Hamas crackdown

Sheikh Yassin's son says phone lines have been cut


Paul Adams in Jerusalem: "This is exactly what the Israeli government wants to see"
Israel has dismissed the Palestinian operation to place Islamic Hamas movement leader Sheikh Ahmed Yassin under house arrest as a cosmetic exercise.

Middle East
A spokesman for Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said the clampdown, which included the rounding up of hundreds of other Hamas activists, was a public relations act.


[ image: Mr Arafat: Under pressure as he meets his cabinet]
Mr Arafat: Under pressure as he meets his cabinet
He said it did not reflect a true desire to destroy the infrastructure of the militant Hamas organisation.

The criticism comes as Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat holds his first cabinet meeting since signing the peace agreement with Israel a week ago.

Sheikh Yassin was put under house arrest by the Palestinian Authority after Thursday's bomb attack in Gaza in which an Israeli soldier was killed.


Hanan Ashrawi: "I hope that we do not get to the stage where people are punished for their political views"
The BBC Jerusalem Correspondent, Paul Adams, says these are the most drastic measures so far against Hamas, and the action against the Sheikh is bound to trigger resentment.

The Sheikh criticised the moves against Hamas in an interview with an Arab television station, saying the Palestinian Authority was protecting Israel when it should be looking after its own people.


Israeli ambassador in Washington, Zalman Shoval: "It's a good beginning"
His son said his father's telephone line was cut by the Palestinian authorities after the interview.

Senior Palestinian politician, Hanan Ashrawi said the moves against Hamas show the Palestinian Authority will go to any lengths to demonstrate its commitment to the peace agreement, even if it means violating civil, political and human rights.

Arafat condemns attack


BBC's Paul Royall: "The peace process is under pressure"
Immediately after the bomb, Mr Arafat condemned the attack and promised Mr Netanyahu he would do everything he could to find the bombers.

Mr Netanyahu repeated that the land-for-security pact the two sides signed last week depended upon systematic action by the Palestinian Authority to prevent such attacks.

Israeli Government spokesman Moshe Fogel said if the attack had succeeded, it would have blocked the peace process.


Moshe Fogel: "If this attack succeeded ... we would not be able to go ahead with the peace process"
"We can't go ahead with a peace process in which we have daily terrorist attacks against Israeli targets," he added.

Israeli and Palestinian security forces are reported to be co-operating in the investigation. An American representative, believed to be from the CIA, has also been at the scene.

Under the Washington peace agreement, the CIA is to help monitor security provisions.

Car bomb targets children


[ image: Bomb threatened peace deal]
Bomb threatened peace deal
The car bomb attack targeted a bus carrying children to school from a Jewish settlement in the Gaza Strip.

The bomber and an Israeli soldier were killed, but no children were hurt.

Six people were also wounded in the blast. A Jewish settler then shot a Palestinian in the confusion.

A caller to Israel Radio said the attack was carried out by Hamas, but Sheikh Yassin declined to confirm or deny the claim.

Roads to Jewish settlements

Meanwhile the Israeli Government has announced that work on new roads to remote Jewish settlements is to start next week.

Some settlements would be virtually surrounded by Palestinian-controlled territory under the terms of the peace deal.

Settlers are spearheading a campaign against the accord, saying their safety will be endangered.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

23 Oct 98 | Monitoring
Hamas leader Sheikh Yasin vows fight will go on

29 Oct 98 | Middle East
Analysis: Blow against peace deal

28 Oct 98 | Middle East
Fears for Netanyahu's safety

19 Oct 98 | Middle East
Hamas challenges the peace-makers

19 Oct 98 | Middle East
Land for peace: territory under dispute

31 Oct 98 | Middle East
The return of the sheikh





Internet Links


Hamas

Office of the Israeli Prime Minister

Palestinian National Authority

CIA World Fact Book: Gaza Strip

Hamas Charter


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Safety chief deplores crash speculation

Iraq oil-for-food aid extended

Israel demands soccer sex scandal inquiry

Israeli PM's plane in accident

Jordan police stop trades unionists prayers

New Israeli raid in southern Lebanon

New demand over PLO terror list

Earthquake hits Iran

New UN decision on Iraq approved

Algerian president pledges reform