Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Thursday, October 29, 1998 Published at 18:23 GMT


World: Asia-Pacific

Indonesia's hollow claims

Indonesian troops have returned through the back door

By BBC Jakarta Correspondent, Jonathan Head:

Confidential Indonesian documents confirmed as authentic by Western diplomatic sources, show that troop numbers in the disputed territory of East Timor, remain much higher than officially admitted.


Matt Fry: "Evidence suggests that the army is building up, not scaling down"
These are very detailed documents that show the complete Indonesian military command structure in East Timor and even give the names and ranks of key officials.

For the first time since Indonesia's invasion 23 years ago, it is now possible to know exactly how many troops and police are stationed in the territory.

The documents show that as of mid-August, there were nearly 18,000 armed forces personnel in East Timor - considerably higher than the official figure of around 12,000.

There is also no sign of a reduction in the total despite the much-publicised withdrawal of 1,000 troops in July and August.

Critics have accused Indonesia of bringing in reinforcements to replace those withdrawn. Indonesia has promised to reduce its military presence in East Timor.

Its claims to have done so now look hollow.

Combat troops remain in Timor


[ image: Independence leader Xanana Gusmao, in a recent letter smuggled from prison, doubted the Indonesian troop withdrawal]
Independence leader Xanana Gusmao, in a recent letter smuggled from prison, doubted the Indonesian troop withdrawal
Last week, foreign minister, Ali Alatas, told journalists that there were no more combat troops left in the territory.

He has since acknowledged that there may still be a few but these documents show a total of nearly 8,000 infantry and special forces soldiers remaining.

Mr Alatas also said there had been no recent clashes between the army and pro-independence rebels.

But diplomatic sources say there have been at least two clashes over the past month in which as many as six Indonesian soldiers have been killed.

Paramilitary involvement

The documents also list 12,000 paramilitary personnel under the army's command.

Until now the military has denied any connection with the paramilitaries who have been blamed for many human rights violations.

The United Nations believes that reducing Indonesian troop numbers in East Timor is vital to the search for a peaceful settlement to the conflict.

So far, Indonesia does not appear to be keeping its word.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

28 Oct 98 | Asia-Pacific
East Timor still fighting for freedom after Suharto

14 Oct 98 | Asia-Pacific
East Timor leader doubts troop pullout

14 Jun 98 | SPECIAL REPORT
East Timor - Key facts and background





Internet Links


Timor Today

Department of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Indonesia

Free East Timor


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Indonesia rules out Aceh independence

DiCaprio film trial begins

Millennium sect heads for the hills

Uzbekistan voices security concerns

From Business
Chinese imports boost US trade gap

ICRC visits twelve Burmese jails

Falintil guerillas challenge East Timor peackeepers

Malaysian candidates named

North Korea expels US 'spy'

Holbrooke to arrive in Indonesia

China warns US over Falun Gong

Thais hand back Cambodian antiques