![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, October 29, 1998 Published at 11:21 GMT World: Africa Congolese rebels see Mandela in Pretoria The Congolese rebel leader, Ernest Wamba dia Wamba, has had talks in South Africa with President Mandela. No details of their discussions have emerged; Mr Mandela's spokesman said earlier that no announcement would be made. Correspondents said Mr Mandela was expected to ask the rebels to consider a ceasefire in the uprising against President Kabila. Mr Mandela had talks about the conflict with the Namibian President, Sam Nujoma, yesterday but Mr Nujoma said Namibia would withdraw its troops from Congo only when the government no longer needed their help. In another move, the United States has sent a top-level diplomatic delegation to Angola as part of efforts to halt the war in Congo. A state department spokesman said they would ask the Angolan government to withdraw troops backing President Kabila against rebel forces. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||