Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Thursday, October 29, 1998 Published at 16:05 GMT


World: Middle East

Gaza school bus bombed

Israeli and Palestinian security forces are co-operating at the scene

Two people have been killed in a car bomb attack on a bus carrying children to school from a Jewish settlement in the Gaza Strip.

Middle East
The bomber and an Israeli soldier were killed. No children were hurt.

A caller to Israel Radio said the attack was carried out by the militant Islamic group Hamas.


The BBC's Jeremy Bowen: "It was a big bomb intended to cause terrible slaughter"
However, in a BBC interview Hamas leader Sheikh Ahmad Yassin declined to confirm or deny the claim.

Israel radio said a car attempted to draw up alongside the bus, but a military jeep escourting the bus managed to block its path, taking the brunt of the explosion.

In addition to the two deaths, six people were wounded in the blast. A Jewish settler then shot and wounded a Palestinian in the confusion that followed.

Arafat condemns attack

The Palestinian leader, Yasser Arafat, has condemned the attack, and expressed his sorrow.


[ image: Soldiers have sealed off the area]
Soldiers have sealed off the area
In a phonecall to the Israeli Prime Minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, he said he would do everything he could to find the bombers.

Mr Netanyahu says he replied by repeating that the land-for-security pact the two sides signed last week depended upon systematic action by the Palestinian authority to prevent such attacks.


Moshe Fogel: "If this attack succeeded ... we would not be able to go ahead with the peace process"
Israeli Government spokesman Moshe Fogel said if the attack had succeeded, it would have blocked the peace process.

"We can't go ahead with a peace process in which we have daily terrorist attacks against Israeli targets," he told the BBC.

He urged the Palestinians to do more to stop the violence.

"They can act against Hamas if they want to. They simply have not been doing what they have to do before a terrorist attack occurs. What they do is they act after the terrorist attack. That's simply not enough."

Israeli and Palestinian security forces are now reported to be co-operating in the investigation. An American representative, believed to be from the CIA, has also been at the scene.

Under the terms of the Washington peace agreement, the CIA is to help monitor security provisions.

{ Video 2} The BBC correspondent in Jerusalem, Lyse Doucet, says that the Palestinians know they have to improve security if they want Israel to hand over more land.

Israel handed over most of the Gaza Strip to Palestinian self-rule under peace deals dating back to 1993.

Some 6,500 Jews live in settler enclaves in the strip among more than a million Palestinians.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

29 Oct 98 | Middle East
Analysis: Blow against peace deal

28 Oct 98 | Middle East
Fears for Netanyahu's safety

19 Oct 98 | Middle East
Hamas challenges the peace-makers

19 Oct 98 | Middle East
Land for peace: territory under dispute





Internet Links


Office of the Israeli Prime Minister

Palestinian National Authority


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Safety chief deplores crash speculation

Iraq oil-for-food aid extended

Israel demands soccer sex scandal inquiry

Israeli PM's plane in accident

Jordan police stop trades unionists prayers

New Israeli raid in southern Lebanon

New demand over PLO terror list

Earthquake hits Iran

New UN decision on Iraq approved

Algerian president pledges reform