Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Thursday, October 29, 1998 Published at 01:51 GMT


UK

IRA bomber's sentence cut

Armed police stood guard outside the court during last year's trial

An IRA bomber who tried to bring chaos to London by blowing up electricity sub-stations, has had his sentence cut by seven years.

Patrick Martin, 37, from Tooting in south London, was jailed for 35 years in July 1997.

But on Wednesday his sentence was reduced to 28 years after the Court of Appeal decided to make allowance for the fact that "death and injury was not the primary object" of the campaign.


[ image: Patrick Martin...sentence cut]
Patrick Martin...sentence cut
Martin was one of six members of a Provisional IRA "active service unit" who were described by the trial judge, Mr Justice Scott Baker, as bent on "destabilising the community by wrecking electricity supplies to the south east of England".

In June 1996 Martin's gang plotted to blackout the whole of London by targeting key electricity sub-stations.

Thwarted by police

The campaign was thwarted by an undercover police and MI5 operation.

Jailing them the judge said: "You were reckless as to the number of people who might be killed or maimed as a consequence of your planned bombings."

But the Lord Chief Justice, Lord Bingham, sitting with two other judges, said: "The political, economic and social threat presented by this conspiracy was as great as in any of the cases we have considered."

He added: "We do, however, conclude that some weight must be given to the fact that death and injury, although a likely by-product of implementation of the conspirators' plan, was not its primary object."

Lord Bingham said 35 years was the sort of sentence handed out to multiple murderers.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England
In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online