![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, October 28, 1998 Published at 13:08 GMT World: Middle East Fears for Netanyahu's safety ![]() Mr Netanyahu is seen as having sold out to the Palestinians Security has been tightened around Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, amid continuing right-wing fury over last week's peace deal with the Palestinians, according to reports from Israel.
Correspondents say the scenes were reminiscent of those preceding the assassination of the former prime minister, Yitzhak Rabin, by a Jewish extremist three years ago.
Our correspondent says threats are directed not only at the government, but at the life of the premier. Cabinet vote postponed
The United States also says it believes the interim Middle East peace accord will move forward despite the the Prime Minister's decision. The Israeli government postponed the cabinet vote on the grounds that the Palestinians had not kept their promise to submit a detailed security plan to Israel this week.
Mr Rubin added he was confident that Mr Netanyahu would act to get the necessary approval from his cabinet in the coming days.
But senior Palestinian negotiator Hassan Asfour accused Mr Netanyahu of ''political cowardice" and said he was pandering to pressure from extremists and settlers. He said Palestinian negotiators had already submitted their security plan during talks in Washington and it was now up to the US and Israel to sort it out.
Mr Asfour said: "It seems that once again Netanyahu is going to succumb to the political blackmail by the herds of settlers and extremists. ''It shows that Netanyahu has unwillingly signed the agreement... under the threat of the US president.'' Fresh violence in West Bank Mr Netanyahu's decision - which augurs badly for the success of the peace process - came as hundreds of Palestinians clashed with Israeli troops in the West Bank city of Nablus.
Palestinian police say they have arrested two men who had confessed to that killing. Security high Israeli and Palestinian security forces remain on high alert with Hebron sealed off, and a curfew in place on the 15,000 Palestinians who live there there. Earlier more than 1000 mourners attended the settler's funeral amid demands that Mr Netanyahu reject the peace dea. The killing also sparked off noisy protests by right-wing settlers outside Mr Netanyahu's official residence in Jerusalem on Monday evening. The demonstration followed a confidence vote in parliament, which the Israeli leader survived with the support of the opposition Labour party. Opinion polls published by Israeli newspaper, Yediot Aharonot, showed that almost three in four Israelis support the accord.
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||