![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, October 28, 1998 Published at 11:19 GMT Sport All hail the Prince ![]() Ingle talks up his man's chances as Hamed takes a backseat for once Prince Naseem Hamed's team have taken drastic steps to drum up interest in the Sheffield fighter's showdown with Ireland's Wayne McCullough. Only 5,000 of the 15,000 tickets have so far been sold for Saturday's WBO featherweight title clash in Atlantic City. So Hamed's mentor Brendan Ingle hired a megaphone for £100 and has been patrolling the city's casinos to try to sell the fight to punters. And although he admits he was sometimes greeted with a bemused reaction, Ingle insists his unusual ploy can help raise his man's public profile. "When I read in the paper there's only 5,000 tickets sold I thought we've got three days to go so we got the loud hailer. They've never seen Naz here before," said Ingle. "I went into the casino with it, and they said 'What's happening man?'. I shouted the 'Champ's here'. I'm sure the £100 will be money well spent." 'I'll do it in three' Hamed finally arrived in Atlantic City on Tuesday following a delay caused by visa problems. But he denied the hold-up was his fault and was as confident as ever about his chances of successfully defending his WBO crown.
"Brendan's given me a wicked welcome, it could not have been better. Respect to Brendan, but also his sons John and Dominic for training me so good. I'm in the best condition of my life. "All this visa stuff was rubbish. I didn't make the boo-boo. I got the visa and I'm here five days before the fight. It doesn't matter to me. "People say I'm late for everything, but the main thing is that I do the business. I'll be there first at the arena on Saturday and Wayne is going to get knocked out in three rounds. I've never stopped saying it's going to be three rounds and he's going to get beaten up." |
Sport Contents
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||