![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, October 28, 1998 Published at 10:24 GMT UK Sparkler safety alert ![]() Last year about 250 serious injuries were caused by sparklers In the run-up to Guy Fawkes night, the government is launching a campaign to warn children and parents about the dangers of sparklers.
Consumer affairs minister Dr Kim Howells said parents should realise that sparklers burn at very high temperatures. He said: "They burn at incredibly high temperatures - five times hotter than a barbecue, and parents have got to understand that." Of the 100 million fireworks that will be sold this year, sparklers are expected to be a best seller.
But the government was disappointed that about 250 serious accidents were the result. Parents are being urged to adopt a strict safety code when allowing children to use sparklers on 5 November, Guy Fawkes night.
|
UK Contents
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||