![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, October 28, 1998 Published at 01:46 GMT UK Birt 'disappointed' at rise in complaints Sir John Birt: Four complaints in last three months BBC Director-General Sir John Birt said it was "disappointing" that the corporation's news programmes had produced a rise in viewers' justified complaints. The BBC's Programme Complaints Unit upheld four news complaints in the last three months, compared with only three over the whole of the previous year. However, the total number of upheld complaints against all programmes fell to only 17 compared with 31 in the same period last year. The PCU investigated 178 complaints about 149 programmes in the quarter from July to September. 'Distress and embarrassment' The PCU agreed that a news bulletin film of a married man playing with his children should not have been used to illustrate a story about single fathers. The man complained he had been caused "distress and embarrassment" by the film, originally shot to illustrate the Budget. The film, shown on the One O'Clock News and Six O'Clock News in July was destroyed to prevent further inappropriate use. Two more upheld news complaints concerned inexact terminology about Northern Ireland communities used by Ceefax and the Nine O'Clock News. The fourth came from the High Commissioner for Trinidad and Tobago about a report wrongly suggesting the government there was preventing convicted prisoners from appealing to the Privy Council. Sir John said: "Four complaints about items in television news bulletins have been upheld.
Two complaints were also upheld against the BBC's consumer flagship Watchdog. Companies which have protested about the BBC1 programme are arranging to meet BBC chairman Sir Christopher Bland and other governors. |
UK Contents
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||