Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Wednesday, October 28, 1998 Published at 16:17 GMT


World: Europe

Kosovo refugees 'returning'

The crisis forced up to 300,000 ethnic Albanians to flee

More ethnic Albanian civilians have been returning to their home villages, as Serb police and army units continue to withdraw, international observers in Kosovo have said.

Kosovo Section
Humanitarian agencies have estimated that up to 300,000 people were displaced during the eight month crackdown on ethnic Albanian separatists.

Following Nato's decision on Tuesday to lift its threat of imminent air strikes, Secretary-General Javier Solana called for Western observers to be sent to the province immediately to verify that Serb troops are withdrawing.

Mr Solana said a Nato force would soon be despatched to the region to help protect the observers.


The BBC's David Eades in Brussels: Focus from air strikes to verification of withdrawal
Despite the withdrawal, Nato has agreed to extend its "activation order" which has put more than 400 allied warplanes on alert for possible raids against the Serbs.


President Clinton: ''We've still got to stay on the case''
The US President Bill Clinton has warned the Yugoslav leader, Slobodan Milosevic, that he could still face military action.

Mr Clinton welcomed the widespread withdrawal of Yugoslav forces from Kosovo, but said it was now up to Mr Milosevic to stay in compliance with the demands of the international community.


Kate Adie: A very fragile situation
A BBC correspondent in Washington, Richard Lister, says there is a deep sense of relief that American forces are not being drawn into a new Balkans conflict, although officials believe they have not heard the last from President Milosevic.

Security forces return to pre-crisis levels


Mr Solana: "The threat of force will stay"
Mr Solana said reports from observers on the ground and Nato reconnaissance flights showed most Yugoslav forces had withdrawn from Kosovo or returned to barracks.


[ image: A KLA soldier returns home to find her father's skeleton]
A KLA soldier returns home to find her father's skeleton
"The security forces are returning to the level they were at before the present crisis began," he said.

Mr Solana said more than 4,000 special police units had left the province in the past 24 hours and checkpoints had been dismantled.

But he acknowledged that full and unconditional compliance with UN resolutions had not yet been achieved.

Secret police head sacked

In Yugoslavia itself, members of the government have portrayed the withdrawal as the logical conclusion of their own victory over the Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA) separatists rather than as a result of Nato pressures.


The BBC's Nick Thorpe in Belgrade: "General sense of relief in Yugoslavia"
But the BBC correspondent in Belgrade, Nick Thorpe, says there are indications of a power struggle connected to Kosovo.

On Tuesday, the head of the Serbian secret police, Jovica Stanisic, was unexpectedly sacked.

Mr Stanisic, described even by his enemies as capable and intelligent, had been President Milosevic's right-hand man throughout the 1990s.


[ image: Refugees: Going home as troops withdraw]
Refugees: Going home as troops withdraw
The reasons for his fall are not yet clear, but he is believed to have opposed both the tough crackdown on ethnic Albanians during the summer and current steps to outlaw domestic media which are critical of the government.

Mr Milosevic averted an initial threat of air strikes earlier this month by signing an agreement with US envoy Richard Holbrooke, which committed him to withdraw his forces and allow the safe return of refugees.

The United Nations Security Council endorsed the agreement - although it fell short of authorising military action.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

26 Oct 98 | Europe
Serb paper confiscated

24 Oct 98 | Europe
UN demands action over Kosovo

24 Oct 98 | Europe
Serb tanks 'withdrawing'

12 Oct 98 | Europe
Nato go-ahead for air strikes





Internet Links


Federal Republic of Yugoslavia

Kosovo Information Centre

Serbian Ministry of Information


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Violence greets Clinton visit

Russian forces pound Grozny

EU fraud: a billion dollar bill

Next steps for peace

Cardinal may face loan-shark charges

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Trans-Turkish pipeline deal signed

French party seeks new leader

Jube tube debut

Athens riots for Clinton visit

UN envoy discusses Chechnya in Moscow

Solana new Western European Union chief

Moldova's PM-designate withdraws

Chechen government welcomes summit

In pictures: Clinton's violent welcome

Georgia protests over Russian 'attack'

UN chief: No Chechen 'catastrophe'

New arms control treaty for Europe

From Business
Mannesmann fights back

EU fraud -- a billion-dollar bill

New moves in Spain's terror scandal

EU allows labelling of British beef

UN seeks more security in Chechnya

Athens riots for Clinton visit

Russia's media war over Chechnya

Homeless suffer as quake toll rises

Analysis: East-West relations must shift