![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, October 27, 1998 Published at 18:04 GMT
Health Shipman investigation team fly to Malta ![]() Dr Harold Shipman: accused of the murder of four of his former patients Detectives investigating the deaths of at least 28 women patients of a Manchester doctor have arrived in Malta where they are expected to exhume another body. The bodies of six former patients of Dr Harold Shipman have already been exhumed as part of the investigation. A team of Greater Manchester police arrived in Malta and is expected to ask for permission to dig up the body of 53-year-old Marie Fernley who was buried there after her death in Tameside, Manchester, three years ago. Maltese police have confirmed that Manchester police are on the island and a health official said they were likely to be seeking the exhumation of a body. However, he said they would have to get permission from the Maltese government and Ms Fernley's family before being able to exhume her body. Greater Manchester police and Ms Fernley's family have refused to comment. Exhumations Police havein the past said they were investigating the deaths of 28 patients. But they say this is "not the final figure". They are believed to be looking at the medical records of many more patients. Dr Shipman is currently on remand after having been charged with the murder of former patient Kathleen Grundy, aged 81, and with forging her £300,000 will. He is also accused of murdering three other women patients - 49-year-old Bianka Pomfret, Joan Melia and Winfired Mellor, both aged 73. Two more bodies - of Ivy Lomas, 63, and Marie Quinn, 67 - have been exhumed in the last month and the results of forensic tests on them are expected shortly. |
Health Contents
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||