Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Tuesday, October 27, 1998 Published at 07:38 GMT


UK

Hindley in line for BBC documentary

Myra Hindley: Fighting for freedom

Child killer Myra Hindley may help the BBC with a documentary on the Moors murders.

Hindley, 56, has been approached at Highpoint Prison, Suffolk to participate in the Modern Times documentary.

The programme, to be shown in February, would discuss the 1960s series of sex-and-torture murders.

Careful handling

A BBC spokeswoman said: "It is just an idea at the moment and is nothing more than a gleam in a producer's eye.

"If it were to go ahead, viewers' sensitivity to the subject would mean that any film would be handled especially carefully.

"It is one of countless ideas being explored at any one time. No decision has been made about what shape or form the programme would be."


[ image: Ian Brady: Jailed for life]
Ian Brady: Jailed for life
Hindley and her lover Ian Brady were jailed for life in 1966 for the murders of Lesley Ann Downey, 10, and Edward Evans, 17.

Brady, now 60, was also jailed for life for murdering 12-year-old John Kilbride.

Another 21 years went by before the pair confessed to killing Pauline Reade, 16, and Keith Bennett, 12, and burying their bodies on Saddleworth Moor, on the edge of the Peak District.

Keith Bennett's body has never been found.

Hindley is awaiting the result of an appeal against a decision that she must die in prison.

Three judges sitting at the Court of Appeal reserved judgment on her appeal earlier this month.

Prison for life

Her life sentence was made with no recommended tariff.

But in 1990 Conservative Home Secretary David Waddington ruled she should stay in jail for the rest of her natural life.

This decision was confirmed by Michael Howard and, last year, the new Home Secretary Jack Straw.

Another 26 prisoners, including serial killers Rose West, Dennis Nilsen and Peter Sutcliffe, have also been told they will never be released.

In December three High Court judges, led by Lord Bingham, upheld Mr Straw's decision but granted leave to appeal to the Court of Appeal.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England

Relevant Stories

07 Oct 98 | UK
Hindley in limbo

06 Oct 98 | UK
Hindley 'has not served long enough'

07 Aug 98 | UK
Victim's brother defends Hindley visits





Internet Links


HM Prison Service

Home Office


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online