![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, October 27, 1998 Published at 12:38 GMT World: Asia-Pacific Anwar denounces Malaysian police violence ![]() Azizah Ismail reads the statement from her detained husband The detained former Malaysian Deputy Prime Minister, Anwar Ibrahim, has denounced the use of force by police to break up anti-government demonstrations at the weekend. His statement from prison, which was read by his wife Azizah Ismail, said the government should not use police power "to hit and kick the people". Mr Anwar also:
Amnesty International have also criticised the police for excessive use of force and warned of a risk of further violence. "It is feared that the authorities will increasingly cite public order concerns to further restrict the right of assembly, and to justify the use of force against peaceful demonstrations," the organisation said. The criticisms followed clashes between anti-government demonstrators and riot police in which more than 240 people were detained and come as demonstrators planned a rally on Tuesday to protest against the use of the Internal Security Act (ISA). Water cannon and tear gas
Nearly 2,000 demonstrators had gathered at a mosque in a show of support for Mr Ibrahim, who was detained last month, accused of corruption and sexual offences. Riot police fired tear gas and water cannons at protesters who retaliated by hurling stones and bricks. Dr Mahathir: 'They were armed for a fight' The weekend riot witnessed the most serious violence in the current unrest - the worst the country has seen since 1974.
He said authorities discovered Molotov cocktails and kerosene at the scene. He also accused rioters of using women and children as "shields" for protection against police. Mr Anwar has accused authorities of conspiring to sideline him from power and prevent him from exposing corruption and cronyism. Dr Mahathir has said his former deputy is morally unfit for office. Mr Anwar, who is still in custody, appeared in court last month with a black eye he said had been inflicted while in police custody. He has pleaded not guilty to 10 charges against him. His trial starts on 2 November. |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||