![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, October 27, 1998 Published at 00:52 GMT World: Middle East Peace deal faces test ![]() Israeli police arrest demonstrators protesting outside Mr Netanyahu's home Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu has won a confidence vote in parliament over the peace deal he signed last week with the Palestinians.
The demonstration was held in response to the killing of a Jewish settler. The Israeli was shot dead while driving home from work. Police said he was apparently killed by Palestinian militants.
After the killings, the Israeli army sealed off the West Bank town of Hebron and imposed a curfew on more than 15,000 Palestinians living in the centre. Comfortable majority
"We will give him ad hoc support for the agreement and for every future step towards peace, but at the same time we will keep pushing ahead for early elections," said Mr Barak. "We say yes to peace and no to the Netanyahu government," he added.
Some far right-wing parties and settlers' groups had vowed to bring down the government. They see the agreement to hand over more of the West Bank to Palestinian control as a betrayal. Polls in PM's favour
Still under threat But Mr Netanyahu still faces other challenges to his position. Earlier on Monday, a parliamentary committee voted to present a bill to parliament calling for new elections. If approved it could mean the government would have to defend the peace deal at the polls as early as next March. |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||