![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, October 26, 1998 Published at 12:25 GMT World: Asia-Pacific Indonesia regrets UN comments on clashes in East Timor The Indonesian Foreign Ministry has expressed regret over recent comments by the UN Secretary-General on alleged armed clashes involving Indonesian troops in East Timor. A Foreign Ministry statement said there had been no armed clashes in the territory during the last four months, and that Indonesian security forces there had been exercising extraordinary self-restraint. The statement said allegations of violence involving the military were part of a campaign of disinformation.Diplomatic sources in Jakarta say there have been armed clashes in the territory within the last month, and many of the troops withdrawn after a government promise to reduce the military presence there have been replaced by other soldiers. The UN Secretary-General, Kofi Annan, said two weeks ago that he was concerned at reports of armed clashes in East Timor. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||