![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, October 26, 1998 Published at 01:19 GMT World: Middle East Netanyahu faces his critics ![]() Likud and its coalition partners only have a one-seat majority Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu is facing a no-confidence motion in parliament over the peace deal he signed last week with the Palestinians. [an error occurred while processing this directive]Some far right-wing parties and settlers' groups have vowed to bring down the government, seeing the deal to hand over more of the West Bank to Palestinian control as a betrayal.
In a BBC interview, opposition leader Ehud Barak said his Labour party will support Mr Netanyahu because they are interested in saving the peace deal - but not the prime minister. "We will give him ad hoc support for the agreement and for every future step towards peace, but at the same time we will keep pushing ahead for early elections," said Mr Barak.
With only a one-seat majority in the Knesset, the position of Mr Netanyahu's Likud Party is very vulnerable but Labour Party support would give him a clear majority. Polls in PM's favour
Another 18% of those polled oppose the pact, while 8% had no opinion. But the BBC's Jerusalem Correspondent, Paul Adams, says even members of Mr Netanyahu's own cabinet are known not to support the deal. Foreign Minister, Ariel Sharon, who helped forge the agreement, said it endangered Israel's security and would not reveal how he would vote on it. New pledge on settlements Ahead of the debate, Mr Netanyahu pledged to continue to build settlements in the occupied territories. Speaking on Israel's army radio, Mr Netanyahu said there was nothing in the land-for-peace deal he signed in Washington preventing Israel from building in East Jerusalem or the West Bank. In particular, he said construction would continue on a hilltop in east Jerusalem Har Homa; it was building on this settlement which triggered the breakdown of the peace process in March 1997. Palestinian protests
The protestors said the agreement for the gradual release of 750 Palestinian prisoners did not go far enough, and demanded the release of all prisioners. One Israeli dead In Hebron, the body of a Jewish settler has been found by the roadside on the Israeli-controlled side of the West Bank town. Israel Radio said the man was a security guard at an electrical installation in Hebron and that the army was investigating whether he had been killed by Palestinian militants. Other reports said the man had been shot in the neck and his body thrown from a moving car.
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||