![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Sunday, October 25, 1998 Published at 21:48 GMT World: Europe Basque voting ends peacefully ![]() Turnout was high at the first Basque elections since ETA's cease-fire
The election is the first since the Basque separatist group, ETA, declared a ceasefire last month and is being seen as a key step towards ending 30 years of separatist conflict. Turn-out was said to be high, and exit polls suggest that the Basque Nationalist Party (PNV) has won more than a quarter of the vote.
Like ETA's political wing, Herri Batasuna, the Basque Nationalist Party favours independence for the Basque region but has always rejected the use of violence. Euskal Herritarrok (EH) - the name under which ETA's political arm has decided to contest the regional election - and the Socialist Party (PSOE) are said to be in a close fight for second place.
In the first eight hours of voting 52% of the electorate had cast ballots, 9% higher than at the same stage of the 1994 regional elections. Voters were renewing the 75-seat regional legislature, which in turn will elect the president. It is the sixth such election since Spain granted the Basque country a broad degree of autonomy in 1959. The Spanish Government and main opposition parties all said that the regional elections would have to pass off peacefully and the results be respected, before they were convinced that ETA was committed to peace. In a taped message broadcast on Saturday by the BBC, a hooded ETA leader insisted that the truce offer "was solid and serious" but added that it had no regrets for any of its actions. ETA, whose name is a Basque-language acronym for Basque Homeland and Freedom, has killed nearly 800 people since 1968. |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||