![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Sunday, October 25, 1998 Published at 14:07 GMT World: Africa De Klerk 'to block' Truth Commission report FW de Klerk: May be linked to bombing cover-up South Africa's last apartheid-era President, FW de Klerk, is reported to be considering legal action against the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
A Johannesburg Sunday newspaper has suggested that Mr de Klerk will try to block the publication of a section of the document linking him to the bombings. Mr de Klerk made a personal submission to the Commission during its investigations but there have been allegations that he was economical with the truth. A BBC correspondent in Johannesburg, Greg Barrow, says Mr de Klerk may be concerned that the report will expose the extent to which white politicians collaborated in concealing their knowledge of state-sponsored action against members of the black liberation struggle. Reaction expected Officials from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission have said they will not be surprised if attempts are made to block the release of sections of their 3,500-page report, which covers political crimes committed during the apartheid era. Earlier this year the Commission sent official notices to around 200 people advising them that the document would include detrimental findings against them. The notices were sent to black and white politicians, supporters of the black liberation struggle and activists from right-wing white political parties. All were given the opportunity to respond and a vigorous legal exchange followed from many quarters, a Commission spokesman said. The responses are expected to be included in the report. |
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||