Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Sunday, October 25, 1998 Published at 13:42 GMT


UK

Royal anger over Diana book

Newspaper coverage has been attacked as "less than courageous"

Buckingham Palace has reacted with anger to a controversial new book about the marriage of the Prince and Princess of Wales.

Penny Junor's book, Charles: Victim or Villain? alleges that Diana, Princess of Wales, made late-night death threats to Camilla Parker Bowles.


[ image: The book alleges that Camilla received death threats]
The book alleges that Camilla received death threats
It also says the princess had the first affair of the marriage with her now deceased bodyguard, Barry Mannakee.

Allegations that the Queen had to be forced to allow Diana's body to be brought back from Paris in a royal plane have been dismissed as a "grotesque misrepresentation of the truth" by the palace.

According to the book, the Queen only consented to the use of the Royal Squadron after and aide asked her: "Would you rather, ma'am, that she came back in a Harrods van?"

Palace repeats denials

Penny Junor's statement that the Queen opposed Diana's body being taken to the Chapel Royal at St James's Palace were "the direct opposite of the truth", said a palace spokesman.

The palace repeated denials, issued at the time of the princess's death, that there was discord within the Royal Family or disputes between the Windsors and Diana's family, the Spencers, over her funeral arrangements.

"Our position has not altered and is repeated on behalf of Buckingham Palace and St James's Palace," said the Buckingham Palace spokesman.

He added: "The book was neither official nor authorised."


[ image: Auhtor Penny Junor claims the couple had vicious rows]
Auhtor Penny Junor claims the couple had vicious rows
It is reported that up to 30 of the prince's close friends and advisers co-operated with the book, which charts the entire span of the royal marriage.

The book presents the view that Diana lured Charles into marrying her by claiming to enjoy country pursuits and says the couple's honeymoon ended with the prince throwing his wife's wedding ring at an aide after a vicious row between the newly-weds.

Penny Junor told the Mail on Sunday that she had undertaken to write the book "to explain what really happened in that marriage".

'Portrait of the Prince of Wales at 50'

She said: "It is an attempt to describe why Charles married Diana, what life was like for them both and what went so badly wrong that she felt compelled to tell the world and take very public revenge on her husband.

"So far, no one has attempted to tell the complete story."

She said the book "is a portrait of the Prince of Wales at 50" and described him as a "man emotionally handcuffed by his upbringing and damaged by the failure of his marriage".


Roger Gale: "Prince William and Prince Harry have a right to privacy"
Conservative MP Roger Gale described newspaper coverage of the claims in Penny Junor's book as "grotesque".

"It is less than courageous journalism to make a swipe at two people - Princess Diana and her former bodyguard - neither of whom can sue because both are dead," he told BBC Radio Five Live.

"Those who believe that this will assist in the rehabilitation of Prince Charles have, I think, made a gross error of judgment. Reaction to this story is likely to do infinitely more harm than good.

"I believe that the public feel strongly that Prince William and Prince Harry have a right to privacy and some respect for their late mother's memory, and Prince Charles also is entitled to at least a degree of privacy.

"This in my view, highlights once again the need for an independent Press Complaints Authority with statutory powers to force a code of conduct."

The palace also reiterated Prince William and Prince Harry's personal appeal, made in September, just after the first anniversary of Diana's death, that their mother's memory should be allowed to rest in peace.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England

Relevant Stories

24 Oct 98 | Europe
Diana inquiry: Car not to blame

02 Sep 98 | UK
Princes say let Diana rest





Internet Links


Diana, Princess of Wales

Diana, One Year On - BBC website

The Prince of Wales


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online