![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Sunday, October 25, 1998 Published at 01:22 GMT World: Europe Security Council adopts Kosovo resolution The United Nations Security Council has adopted a resolution demanding that Yugoslavia comply with an agreement to withdraw its forces from Kosovo. Russia and China abstained in the vote, even though references had been removed to the threat of NATO action if Belgrade failed to implement the accord. The adopted resolution merely says that in the event of an emergency, action may be taken to ensure the safety and freedom of movement of observers being sent to Kosovo by the European security organisation, the OSCE. But the American secretary of State, Madeleine Albright, said NATO still had the authority to take military action against Yugoslav forces if they didn't withdraw from Kosovo. Two senior NATO generals Wesley Clark and Klaus Naumann have been in Yugoslavia to try to persuade President Milosevic to pull back his forces by Tuesday's deadline. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||