![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Sunday, October 25, 1998 Published at 09:31 GMT UK Falklands 'not on agenda' ![]() Mr Menem has said he wants to open a dialogue on the Falklands UK Prime Minister Tony Blair has warned Argentina that the status of the Falkland Islands will not be up for discussion when President Carlos Menem visits the UK next week.
"We have made it clear that the visit is not going to be about negotiating on the Falklands," he said. "We have a difference there but it is not the dimension on which this visit is going to focus."
Mr Menem has already said that he will press his country's claim to the Falkland Islands with the Queen when he makes another visit to Britain later this year. He said his government was working tirelessly to recover the islands.
"There were victims on both sides involved in the military conflict. We are healing the wounds caused by those events," he said. He said he was disappointed Baroness Thatcher, who was prime minister at the time of the Falklands conflict, would not be at the service.
"Sovereignty will only change if the Falkland Islanders themselves want change," he said.
"It took a lot of courage for the leader of Argentina to do that," he said. Mr Cook said: "Mr Menem was not responsible for the war. He was in prison. He was locked up and tortured by Galtieri." The atmosphere surrounding Tuesday's visit had been soured by the controversy over Mr Menem's expression of regret for the Falklands War in an article for The Sun newspaper on Friday. The president was angry at reports that he had apologised to Britain for the conflict, which happened during the military regime of General Galtieri, before Mr Menem came to power. Friday's newspaper report led to accusations of diplomatic blundering by Mr Blair's press secretary Alastair Campbell, who had helped arrange the article and advised the Argentinians on the style they should use.
He added: "Whatever the criticisms are that come from anywhere it's right for myself and President Menem to say 'Look, come on, we have the issue of the Falklands there but we're not going to let it dominate the entire relationship between Britain and Argentina because that's not in the interest of either country.'"
Arms embargo talks However, there are signs that Britain is prepared to move closer to Argentina on other issues. Two of Sunday's newspapers - The Observer and The Sunday Telegraph - report that Britain is ready to lift the 16-year arms embargo imposed on Argentina after the Falklands conflict. No announcement is expected until after President Menem's visit, but military talks between the two countries are expected to begin as soon as 10 November. Mr Cook told David Frost that there were "anomalies" to be sorted out but said the government would not change anything that would put the islands at risk.
|
UK Contents
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||