![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Saturday, October 24, 1998 Published at 16:43 GMT 17:43 UK UK Irish call for Sellafield plant to go ![]() "Outrageous" say Irish ministers The Irish Government called on its UK counterpart to overturn approval for a second nuclear plant at Sellafield in Cumbria. Ministers in Dublin reacted angrily to the endorsement given by the UK Environment Agency for the £300m scheme. Joe Jacob, Dublin's minister with responsibility for nuclear safety, said he was "disgusted" that the project had been given the blessing of the UK Government's environment watchdog. He called on British ministers to overrule the agency statement, which also authorised the continuation of waste discharges into the Irish Sea.
The facility - which has already been built - will create new nuclear fuel from used plutonium, reprocessed at the Sellafield Thorp plant. The mixed oxide plant could generate more than £100m a year by producing a fuel for sale to overseas nuclear power stations. 'Must be resisted' The opposition Irish Labour Party's Emmet Stagg called the decision "outrageous". He said: "This is totally unacceptable, and the battle over the decision is far from over. "This must be resisted in the strongest possible manner by the Irish Government." Friends of the Earth, the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament and Greenpeace have all criticised the scheme. |
UK Contents
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||