![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Saturday, October 24, 1998 Published at 10:30 GMT 11:30 UK UK Flood victims 'were warned' ![]() Roads all over South Wales have been inundated As heavy rain lashes Wales and the West Country the Environment Agency has denied failing to warn people about widespread flooding.
Countryside Minister Elliot Morley announced a major review of flood forecasting and warning.
Rhian Jenkins, whose parents' pub in Aberdulais, South Wales, was flooded on Friday, said: "There was just no warning at all." Warning for Wales But Archie Robertson, Director of the Environment Agency, said: "We knew on Thursday things were going to be difficult which is why we put out around 20 red warnings and a general warning for Wales.
Easter floods cost £1bn It is too early to say whether the floods are worse than the Easter deluge when five people lost their lives, about 4,500 buildings were inundated and damage of up to £1bn was caused. Those floods mainly affected the Midlands. The authorities which suffered the worst damage, including Northampton, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire and Worcester, will receive government aid.
Shadow Countryside Minister Tim Yeo said earlier this week that the risk of flooding would be increased by the development of housing on green field sites and the prospect of climate change. He said: "The important thing is not to act like King Canute. "No amount of words can stop flooding from taking place." |
UK Contents
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||