![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Saturday, October 24, 1998 Published at 03:56 GMT 04:56 UK World: Asia-Pacific Typhoon Babs ravages the Philippines A typhoon that swept across the Philippines killing over one-hundred people is heading towards southern China. Typhoon Babs left a trail of destruction in its wake, triggering widespread flooding and landslides. Most of the dead were trapped by mudslides on the island of Catanduanes. Red Cross officials said about one-hundred-thousand people had been forced to leave their homes. The President Joseph Estrada said the cost of crop damage was at least twenty million dollars. Correspondents say important coconut plantations and rice fields have been destroyed. Typhoon Babs is the second devastating storm to hit the Phillipines in a week. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||