Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Saturday, October 24, 1998 Published at 02:01 GMT 03:01 UK


World: Middle East

Low turn-out in Iran

Voters seem to have stayed away from the polls

There seems to have been a low turn-out in Iran for elections to a powerful state body, despite appeals from the supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, for voters to take part.

The BBC Correspondent in Tehran says he only saw a handful of people at most polling stations he visited.


[ image: Ayatollah Ali Khamenei: Called on people to vote]
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei: Called on people to vote
The government twice extended the closing time, to attract more people.

The poll is to elect the Assembly of Experts, which has the power to appoint and dismiss the Iranian supreme leader.

Our correspondent says a victory for hardliners is inevitable.

He says moderate candidates likely to attract those who overwhelmingly voted in President Khatami last year have almost all been disqualified from standing.


Middle East Correspondent Jim Muir: Brief and low key election campaign
Many people had been expected to boycott the poll because a large number of moderate candidates have been prevented from standing.

It was the first nationwide election since reformist President Mohammed Khatami won a landslide victory last year. His supporters had hoped that the national mood of desire for change might be continued in the election.

Candidates rejected

However the Council of Guardians, an ultra-conservative committee which vets would-be candidates, rejected all but a handful of left wing or reformist candidates.


[ image: President Khatami: Many of his supporters were disqualified]
President Khatami: Many of his supporters were disqualified
That prompted numerous protests and accusations of bias which were duly denied. President Khatami was reported to have protested at the disqualification of many of his supporters.

Out of nearly 400 candidates, only 167 survived to compete for the 86 seats in the Assembly. Some of the moderate candidates who were approved later withdrew.

Many moderate voices called for a boycott, with one notable exception - suspended Tehran Mayor Gholam-Hossein Karbaschi, who urged supporters to turn out and vote for any remaining moderate candidates.

For their part, the authorities carried out an intensive media campaign to try to boost turn-out.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

23 Oct 98 | Middle East
Iranian conservatives need voters

06 Oct 98 | Middle East
Tehran students protest over poll

05 Oct 98 | Middle East
Khatami confronts election body





Internet Links


Iran's official news agency


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Safety chief deplores crash speculation

Iraq oil-for-food aid extended

Israel demands soccer sex scandal inquiry

Israeli PM's plane in accident

Jordan police stop trades unionists prayers

New Israeli raid in southern Lebanon

New demand over PLO terror list

Earthquake hits Iran

New UN decision on Iraq approved

Algerian president pledges reform