BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Somali Swahili French Great Lakes Hausa Portugeuse
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: Africa  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Tuesday, 21 May, 2002, 11:45 GMT 12:45 UK
Liberia snubs ceasefire appeal
Liberian soldiers
The army is looking for a priest and blind refugees
The Liberian Government says it is "baffled" by a call made at the weekend by the West African economic bloc, Ecowas, for an immediate ceasefire between the Liberian Government and rebels.


It's the policy of most democratic governments... not to negotiate with terrorists

Reginald Goodridge
Information Minister

Information Minister Reginald Goodridge said talk of a ceasefire suggested a parity between the government and the rebels.

He urged West African nations instead to address what he said was neighbouring Guinea's support of the rebels.

After their talks in Ivory Coast at the weekend, the Ecowas leaders agreed to back peace talks among the political forces in Liberia, which will be led by the presidents of Nigeria and Senegal.

Terrorists

But Mr Goodridge told the BBC's Network Africa programme that the Ecowas call was not acceptable:

"Calling for a ceasefire at a time when the Liberian Government has already broken the back of a very large attack in Gbarnga, in Artington and in Klay, will only give the terrorists [rebels] the opportunity to regroup and attack Liberia.

"We do know that it's the policy of most democratic governments in the world not to negotiate with terrorists."

Liberia has expressed interest in a regional intervention force, something President Abdoulaye Wade of Senegal said could not be ruled out.

There is also growing concern among West African leaders that the Liberian crisis threatens the stability of the region - particularly Sierra Leone, which has just emerged from its own civil war.

Lurd rebels

Rejecting the ceasefire call, Liberia said it had instead ordered its forces to look for a British priest and 60 blind Liberian civilians missing in the war-torn north.

The Roman Catholic church announced on Sunday it had lost contact with Father Garry Jenkins, who was last seen a week ago, before rebels attacked Tubmanburg where he was caring for those displaced by previous fighting.

Liberian President Charles Taylor
Charles Taylor says Liberia cannot equip its army because of UN arms embargo

It is thought he could have been taken prisoner by rebels from the group calling itself Liberians United for Reconciliation and Democracy (Lurd).

Rebel spokesman William Hanson said that some Lurd fighters had captured a white man - believed to the missing priest - and had been instructed to take him to the rebel headquarters in Voinjama.

"Everything is being done to make sure he gets to safety," he said.

Father Jenkins has been working in Liberia for 20 years, reports Reuters news agency.

Arms embargo

This conflict is the latest round of fighting to rock the diamond-rich triangle of Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea.

Thousands of people have fled their homes as the fighting has intensified in recent months.

The Liberian Government says that a United Nations arms embargo mean it is unable to adequately equip its army.

The sanctions were imposed because of President Charles Taylor's support for rebels in neighbouring Sierra Leone and were extended for another year earlier this month.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
Liberia's Information Minister Reginald Goodrich
"ECOWAS was a little late"
News, analysis and background from Liberia's conflict and escalating refugee crisis

Key issues

Country profiles

Timeline

TALKING POINT

CLICKABLE GUIDE
See also:

20 May 02 | Africa
17 May 02 | Africa
13 May 02 | Africa
07 May 02 | Africa
04 Apr 02 | Africa
21 Mar 02 | Africa
19 Mar 02 | Africa
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes