BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: Scotland  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Tuesday, 21 May, 2002, 12:01 GMT 13:01 UK
Lockerbie families demand inquiry
Lockerbie remembrance stone
A total of 270 people died in the bombing
Relatives of British victims of the Lockerbie bombing have been pressing for an independent inquiry into the 1988 atrocity.

They spent an hour in discussions with Foreign Secretary Jack Straw in London.

Former Libyan intelligence agent Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi has been convicted of the bombing, but the families say many important questions remain unanswered.

The bombing of Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie killed 259 passengers and crew on the plane and 11 people on the ground in Scottish town.

Abdelbasset ali Mohmed al-Megrahi
Al-Megrahi: Found guilty of bombing

About 15 members of the UK Families Flight 103 organisation met Mr Straw to demand an inquiry.

They want to discover the motive behind the bombing, why it was not prevented and why it has taken 13 years to investigate the case and to conclude legal proceedings.

Dr Jim Swire, spokesman for the group, described the meeting as "positive".

He said: "The foreign secretary was listening to our points of view mainly. He did suggest further steps in a matter of the next few weeks.

"He has had a list in writing of the questions to which we require answers."

Further liaison

Dr Swire, whose daughter Flora died in the tragedy, said: "It is essential from the government, in our view, that whatever ways are adopted, it is acceptable to the relatives.

"There will be further liaison between relatives and the government."

He said the meeting was an opportunity for Mr Straw to gauge the position of the relatives.

Dr Swire said he felt confident there would be "an inquiry of some sort".

He said an inquiry would be of importance to the general public in view of the events of 11 September and the way that has affected the world.


He has had a list in writing of the questions to which we require answers

Dr Jim Swire
Dr Swire said it was vital the lessons of Lockerbie were learned and acted upon.

Criminal proceedings in the Lockerbie bombing case were completed in March when a Scottish appeal court sitting in the Netherlands upheld the murder conviction of al-Megrahi.

The Libyan was sentenced to life in prison, with no possibility of parole for 20 years.

A second Libyan, Al Amin Khalifa Fhimah, had been acquitted in the original trial in January 2001.

Lockerbie megapuff graphic

AUDIO VIDEO

Appeal concludes

Key stories

Features

The trial
See also:

30 Apr 02 | Europe
25 Apr 02 | Scotland
16 Apr 02 | Scotland
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Scotland stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes