BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Persian Pashto Turkish French
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: Middle East  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Monday, 20 May, 2002, 14:13 GMT 15:13 UK
EU funds attacks, Israeli lawsuit alleges
Yasser Arafat speaks to reporters
The lawsuit accuses the EU of 'recklessly' funding Arafat
An Israeli family is suing the European Union for 100m shekels ($20m), alleging that EU funding for the Palestinian Authority was used to launch attacks on Jewish civilians.

A spokesman for the European Commission said it has no evidence that money from its member states has been used to fund attacks.

The lawsuit was filed on Monday in Jerusalem by the family of Techiya Blumberg, a 35-year-old Israeli settler who was five-months pregnant when she was gunned down in the West Bank last August.

Without the EU's reckless provision of financing to the Palestinians, hundreds of Israeli terror victims would still be alive and thousands of others would never have had to suffer their tragic injuries

Lawyer Nitsana Darshan-Leitner

Her husband, Steven Blumberg, and her 14-year-old daughter were also injured in the attack and remain paralysed, the family's lawyer, Nitsana Darshan-Leitner, said in a statement.

Ms Darshan-Leitner alleged that the EU "recklessly provided the Palestinian Authority with massive amounts of financial aid, while knowing the money was being diverted from its intended civilian purposes to Palestinian terrorist groups".

Arrests

Israeli security forces arrested two members of the Palestinian security forces last year and accused them of participating in the attack on the Blumbergs.

The EU is the principle source of foreign aid for the Palestinian Authority.

Bombing in Jerusalem
Israel says EU funds have been used for violence
"We have yet to receive any evidence that the Palestinian Authority has misused our funds to fund terrorist activities," said David Kriss, a European Commission spokesman in Jerusalem.

"The Commission did say that they were treating these allegations made by the Israeli Government very seriously and that it awaits any evidence to show that those funds have been misused," he added.

But the lawsuit alleges the EU did not scrutinise its funding of the Palestinian Authority closely enough.

"Without the EU's reckless provision of financing to the Palestinians, hundreds of Israeli terror victims would still be alive and thousands of others would never have had to suffer their tragic injuries," Ms. Darshan-Leitner said.


Key stories

Profiles

FACTFILE

TALKING POINT

AUDIO VIDEO
See also:

21 Feb 02 | Middle East
18 Nov 01 | Middle East
17 May 02 | Middle East
11 May 02 | Middle East
28 Mar 02 | Middle East
28 Mar 02 | Middle East
28 Mar 02 | Middle East
21 Mar 02 | Middle East
02 Dec 01 | profiles
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Middle East stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes