BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: N Ireland  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Monday, 20 May, 2002, 06:16 GMT 07:16 UK
Relatives' anger over bomb file delay
Dublin and Monaghan bombings: 33 died in Troubles' bloodiest day
Thirty-three died on the Troubles' bloodiest day
British authorities have failed to give all information requested for an inquiry into a major terrorist atrocity, it has been claimed.

Relatives of victims of the 1974 Dublin and Monaghan bombings have said that not all documents requested by the Republic of Ireland's official inquiry into the atrocity have been provided.

The inquiry, which was set up by the Irish government two years ago, is investigating the bombings which killed 33 people.

Three car bombs detonated
Three car bombs detonated

The three car bombs detonated in Dublin and Monaghan on 17 May caused the biggest loss of life on a single day in the course of the Troubles.

The families of some of the relatives have urged Mr Justice Henry Barron, who is conducting the inquiry, to publish his report as planned this autumn.

They said he should state whether he believes he received full co-operation from the British Government.

Formal request

Earlier this year, a motion calling on the British Government to hand over all relevant documents and files to the inquiry was passed by the Northern Ireland Assembly.

The Democratic Unionist Party objected to the motion - which was tabled by members of the Women's Coalition and the Alliance Party - but it received the support of a majority of assembly members present.

There have been earlier allegations that the British Government was not being co-operative with the inquiry.

Despite a formal request by Mr Justice Barron almost a year ago, British security documents have not been made available to the independent commission.
Bertie Ahern: Expressed his concern
Bertie Ahern: Expressed his concern

The commission was set up in Dublin after years of accusations that the British security services colluded with loyalist paramilitaries to launch the attacks.

Mr Justice Barron, the Irish judge leading the investigation, passed on his concerns when he met Northern Ireland Secretary John Reid last November.

Irish Premier Bertie Ahern also expressed his concern in the Irish parliament that the investigation was not able to proceed quickly because it needed the documents.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
Solicitor Desmond Doherty speaking on Radio Ulster
"The families want the report published as soon as possible"
See also:

21 Jan 02 | N Ireland
13 Nov 01 | N Ireland
15 Mar 01 | N Ireland
12 Sep 00 | N Ireland
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more N Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more N Ireland stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes