BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  World: From Our Own Correspondent
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Sunday, 19 May, 2002, 11:11 GMT 12:11 UK
Civilians 'trapped' in Nepal war
A cycle parade for peace in Dang district
Many civilians have called for an end to the conflict
test hello test
By Sushil Sharma
BBC correspondent in Kathmandu
line
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has expressed concern over the conditions of civilians in areas affected by the Maoist rebellion in Nepal.

The Red Cross says many civilians have become victims, being caught in crossfire between the rebels and the security forces.

The comments came after a three-member team visited some of the worst affected districts amid allegations of human rights violations by both sides.

Nearly 4,000 people are thought to have been killed in the six-year-old Maoist revolt which has wrecked Nepal's economy.

Medical aid

The chief of the Red Cross team, Jean Jacques Bovay, said many civilians did not even get basic medical assistance.

Nepalese soldiers on patrol
Army operation is continuing
The team has delivered its report after a week-long visit to the western districts of Rolpa, Pyuthan and Dang.

The three districts witnessed the fiercest clashes between security forces and rebels in recent weeks, in which hundreds died on both sides.

The Red Cross officials assessed the conditions of the civilians.

They also visited the nearby town of Nepalgunj and distributed medicines.

Human shields

Many civilians are thought to have been caught in the crossfire, although the exact number could not be ascertained.

Some reports said Maoist rebels used the civilians as human shields.

Meanwhile, the authorities said rebels bombed a village and a charity hostel for orphans in the western district of Surkhet on Saturday.

The blast caused minor damage but no one was hurt.

A state of emergency was imposed in Nepal in November last year in an effort to quell the Maoist revolt.

See also:

11 May 02 | South Asia
Confusion deepens over Nepal truce
10 May 02 | South Asia
Nepal rebels deny truce
10 May 02 | South Asia
Nepal PM rejects rebel 'truce'
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more From Our Own Correspondent stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more From Our Own Correspondent stories