BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  UK: England
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Saturday, 18 May, 2002, 23:09 GMT 00:09 UK
Freed terror suspect seeks apology
Lotfi Raissi
Lotfi Raissi says he no longer has a life
A British-based pilot accused of being a "lead instructor" for four of the hijackers involved in the 11 September terrorist attacks has demanded a public apology from the United States government.

Lotfi Raissi was freed last month when a London magistrate said there was "no evidence" to support claims he was a terrorist and stopped a US bid to extradite him.

The Algerian-born 28-year-old described his early morning arrest on 21 September as "like a kidnapping" and said he spent the following five months in prison terrified he would receive the death penalty.

As he recalled the ordeal, Mr Raissi broke down and said: "What I would like is a widely publicised apology, it is very important to restore the name of my family."

'Humiliation'

Mr Raissi from Colnbrook in Buckinghamshire, has always protested his innocence and said the whole period has been a terrible mistake.


I don't have a job, I can't even support my family

Lotfi Raissi
He told Channel 4 News that prison was "unbearable" after the officers told other inmates who he was.

And he added: "Always I was thinking, even if I go to a fair trial, I'm going to the electrical chair because nobody was listening, nobody was looking at the facts."

Mr Raissi said he had no longer had "a life" and that he has lost all hope of staying in the aviation industry, or even earning a respectable wage.

He said: "I don't have a job, I can't even support my family, and I'm very concerned for my future with the reputation I have.

"A number of my family because of this already lost their jobs and the humiliation we went through."

Investigation continues

Mr Raissi was held as a Category A prisoner in Belmarsh Prison after the FBI said he trained four of the terrorists, including the man who flew a plane into the Pentagon.

It abandoned attempts to extradite Mr Raissi on terrorist charges, but wanted to bring him to the US to face charges of falsifying an application for a pilot's licence.

Despite the decision to free Mr Raissi, the US says it will continue its investigation against him.

See also:

12 Feb 02 | England
Accused pilot released on bail
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories