BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Friday, 17 May, 2002, 21:15 GMT 22:15 UK
Ministers' letter over dispute
Street crowds throw missiles at an armoured vehicle
Proposals are aimed at easing street tensions
Protestant and Catholic residents in north Belfast have been asked to sign up to a statement of principles aimed at rebuilding community relations.

The first and deputy first ministers outlined the proposal in a letter to north Belfast assembly members and community representatives in Ardoyne.

It is the latest move in an initiative by David Trimble and Mark Durkan to ease tensions in Ardoyne, which led to the dispute over access to Holy Cross girls primary school last year.

The move follows meetings on Wednesday with both communities who were protesting that initiatives proposed by ministers last November were not yet implemented.


It is proposed that both communities sign up to a statement of principles to rebuild trust

Ministers' statement

Among the items on the agenda was the "adjustment" of the Ardoyne Road to prevent rioting.

In a statement on Friday night, the ministers said: "We are asking everyone involved to play a constructive role to resolve the outstanding issues by taking forward programmes for progress on community dialogue and community safety.

"We expect these programmes to operate simultaneously but separately. This will benefit both communities, provide assurance for all and create an atmosphere conducive to progress."

The statement of principles will recognise the importance of the Holy Cross Catholic school and the mainly Protestant Wheatfield schools in the Ardoyne area, the ministers' statement said.

"It is proposed that both communities sign up to a statement of principles to rebuild trust, confidence and community relations," they said.

The residents are asked to comment on the proposals by 24 May.

See also:

08 May 02 | Northern Ireland
Security stepped up in north Belfast
06 May 02 | Northern Ireland
More violence in Belfast
05 May 02 | Northern Ireland
Police reject riot criticism
05 May 02 | Northern Ireland
Man shot in Belfast riots
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories