BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  UK: Wales
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Friday, 17 May, 2002, 20:04 GMT 21:04 UK
Mobile muggers get jail term
Woman talks on a mobile phone
Tough government guidelines mean a long jail term
Four teenage members of a mobile phone theft gang have been jailed for over ten years under tough new government guidelines.

The young men threatened their victims with violence and knives before stealing their mobiles at public places around Cardiff.

It comes four months after the Lord Chief Justice made courts clampdown on mobile muggers by handing down jail terms.

There has been a sharp rise in the number of phone thefts - over 700,000 were stolen across England and Wales last year.

Cardiff skyline
The gang terrorised Cardiff mobile phone users

The gang's eldest member, Jason Roberts, 19, of the Roath area, was sentenced for his 100th offence, admitting two robberies.

Vincent Pace, 17, of Pentrebane and two boys aged 15 also admitted a string of street attacks on teenage victims in the city.

Cardiff Crown Court heard Pace told one victim of the same age: "I've got a knife in my pocket - I'll gut you with it."

Another time, he held a screwdriver to a victim's throat, robbing the 14-year-old of £2.

Roberts told a victim: "I'm going to smash your face in" before stealing his mobile phone.

Pace admitted to robbery, theft and an attempted robbery. Both were sentenced to three years at a young offendes' institution.

One of the 15-year-olds - neither of whom can be named - laughed as he was given the same term for two robberies.

The other receives an 18-month detention and training order - the minimum sentence under the new laws passed in January.

Theft surge

A Home Office study published January showed thefts of mobile phones in England and Wales have surged, with more than 700,000 snatched in 2001.

That is more than double the 330,000 figure recorded by police forces - one every three minutes.

Schoolchildren are at least five times more likely to be targeted by mobile phone thieves than adults, with 48% of victims aged under 18.

Statistics given to BBC News Online showed 4% of Welsh children aged 11 to 16 had their mobile phone stolen last year.

Also in January, Lord Woolf intervened at the Court of Appeal to increase the sentence given to two teenage mobile robbers.

He said a jail sentence should usually be the only option used by courts regardless of the thief's age or previous convictions.

'Thoroughly unpleasant'

Defending one of the Cardiff youths in court, Huw Evans admitted: "We are all conscious of political concerns about offences of this type.

"These offences were thoroughly unpleasant."

Judge Philip Richards told them: "These robberies were in public places in and where young people have been targeted.

"You used bullying, threats and weapons to rob these people of mobiles which were highly valued and which they could ill-afford to lose.

"People who commit offences of that nature must understand that courts will respond with severe punishment."

See also:

30 Jan 02 | UK
Q&A: Phone theft crackdown
11 Feb 02 | England
Police target mobile phone thieves
23 Feb 02 | England
Girl stabbed for mobile phone
30 Jan 02 | UK
Phone thief gets four years
30 Mar 02 | Wales
Mobiles marked to deter thieves
03 May 02 | Sci/Tech
How to hack your mobile phone
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories