BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  UK: Wales
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Friday, 17 May, 2002, 14:56 GMT 15:56 UK
Hospital completes baby death inquiry
Singleton Hospital in Swansea
The baby died at Singleton Hospital in Swansea
A south west Wales hospital has completed its internal investigation into the death of a six-week-old baby who died during a routine operation last month.

Aaron Havard died during an operation at Singleton Hospital, Swansea, on 23 April.


We are completely and utterly devastated by the loss of our little son

Kathryn and Philip Havard

Swansea NHS Trust says the report will not be released publicly at this stage because of an ongoing police investigation into the incident.

However, the trust says the findings will be made available to the Havard family and the coroner.

The family have spoken of their devastation at Aaron's loss.

The investigation into the babies death still in progress and a post mortem examination was carried out last week.

In a statement issued through police, baby Aaron's parents Kathryn and Philip Havard said: "We are completely and utterly devastated by the loss of our little son."

"Our baby boy Aaron was our world and he has brought untold joy to our family during his short life.

"We will miss him more than words can ever say".

The couple said their grief was "unbearable".

Deepest sympathy

The hospital said a "serious incident" led to the baby's death on the operating table.

In a statement they offered their deepest sympathy to the baby's family.

The internal investigation into the cause of the incident involved senior professionals.

The findings of the inquiry have been released to the trust chief executive.

An inquest into the baby's death has been opened and adjoured.


Where I Live, South West Wales
See also:

31 Jul 00 | Wales
Inquiry into baby's death
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories