BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Thursday, 16 May, 2002, 15:48 GMT 16:48 UK
No jury verdict in murder case
The restaurant was cordoned off by police
Man was stabbed at city centre restaurant
A Belfast man could face a second murder trial after a Crown Court jury failed to reach a verdict at the end of his 18-day trial.

Anthony Hagans, 29, from Ross Street in the Divis area of Belfast was remanded back into custody on Thursday while the Director of Public Prosecutions considers the next move in his case.

The accused denies murdering 32-year-old David Finn, who was fatally stabbed during an argument in the McDonald's city centre restaurant in Donegall Place on 23 February last year.

He allegedly told police that moments before the fight he had been cleaning his nails with a small penknife, but thought he had put it away before the confrontation with Mr Finn.

After over three hours deliberation on Thursday, the jury of six men and six women returned to tell trial judge Lord Justice Nicholson they could not even agree on a majority verdict.

Asked by the judge if they were given more time would they be likely to agree on a verdict, the jury told him it would be "a waste of time".

Mr Hagans is to make a bail application before Lord Justice Nicholson in the coming days while the Director of Public Prosecutions considers the case.

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories