BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Thursday, 16 May, 2002, 13:48 GMT 14:48 UK
Car driven at campaigners' protest
Andersonstown Road, west Belfast
The attack happened on the Andersonstown Road
A group campaigning for tougher sentences for car thieves has been attacked in west Belfast.

A car was driven at the group who were holding a protest on the Andersonstown Road on Wednesday.

The group included people who have had relatives killed by car thieves.

Peggy Hanna, whose son was killed on the Andersonstown Road in 1999, said it was a terrifying experience.

Peggy Hanna: Campaigning for tougher sentences for car thieves
Peggy Hanna: "They drove straight at us"

"We were standing as a group because we were getting ready to disperse and they just came at us," she said.

"He actually had lost control of the wheel and his hands weren't on the wheel of the car. It was skidding everywhere and they just ploughed sort of through us.

"It was a miracle that no-one was hurt or killed."

Eye witnesses said a nearby police Land Rover made no attempt to intervene.

Petition

Police confirmed the incident had been referred to the Police Ombudsman and said they were investigating claims that a man was struck by the car.

The group launched a campaign against so-called joyriding at the weekend.

The families opened a petition at Belfast City Hall which they hope to present to politicians in London.

The group has asked the Northern Ireland Secretary, John Reid, to invite them to Westminster to put their case to government ministers.

Over 10,000 petitions have been collected from all over Ireland, England and Scotland in support of the campaign.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
BBC NI's Julia Paul reports:
"The protesters claim a nearby police landrover did nothing to help"
See also:

11 May 02 | Northern Ireland
Bereaved families launch campaign
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories