BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Thursday, 16 May, 2002, 14:30 GMT 15:30 UK
Men suffered 'brutal' deaths
Forensic experts arrive to examine the scene
Forensic experts are examining the scene
Two men found dead by a roadside in County Down suffered brutal and violent deaths and have multiple injuries, according to the police.

A murder investigation was launched following the discovery of the bodies near Warrenpoint on Wednesday.

The man leading the investigation, Chief Inspector Gary Hagan, said the men had been beaten with blunt instruments and had been stabbed.

He added that it was possible that the men may have been killed elsewhere before being dumped at the roadside.

Police officers search a waterway near where the bodies were found
Police officers search the surrounding area

A major security operation was mounted after a man out walking discovered one of the bodies on the Mound Road, a mile and half from the town.

The second body was found after a close examination by the security forces.

It has also been revealed that police in the Republic of Ireland, the Garda Siochana, and Interpol are helping police with the investigation.

Army bomb experts were called in from their barracks at Bessbrook in south Armagh to check the area for booby trap devices, a routine task in such circumstances.

Neither of the victims has yet been identified.

'Baffled'

The men's bodies were moved from the scene on Thursday afternoon.

SDLP assembly member PJ Bradley said the local community was "baffled" by the murders.

"There is no-one missing in the area, no-one reported missing, even throughout Northern Ireland up until this morning, and there is no indication whatsoever about the reason or the cause for these murders," he said.

"It is a reminder of how delicate the entire situation can be when people take the law into their own hands."

Mr Bradley appealed for anyone who could offer information as to the identities of the bodies to come forward.

Chief inspector Gary Hagan
Chief inspector Hagan: "These people have suffered a brutal death"

"Some poor mother, wife, brother or sister are waiting, wondering where their loved ones are," he said.

Sinn Fein assembly member Mick Murphy denied republicans were involved in the incident.

"There is a lot of speculation but from the local knowledge that I am getting, there was no republican involvement in it," he said.

Police are trying to establish the men's identities and how they died.

They said the first man found dead was clothed in a cardigan with green, red and blue horizontal stripes and a light green polo shirt, worn under the cardigan.

'Violent struggle'

He also had a gold earring in his left ear and was between 20 and 30-years of age and had dark hair.

The second man was wearing a blue t-shirt and blue track bottoms.

Detectives have asked anyone who recognises the description or who has concerns about a missing friend or relative to contact them.

Mr Hagan appealed to the public to bear in mind the fact the murders may have taken place away from the scene.

"I would ask members of the public who have perhaps come upon an area where there is perhaps blood or where they feel that some sort of violent struggle took place to contact the police," he said.

The nearby A2 dual carriageway between Newry and Warrenpoint was closed at Narrow Water Castle while the security operation continued.

Golfers were also moved from a course that runs alongside the Mound Road.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
BBC NI's Colette Maguire reports from the scene:
"Chief inspector Gary Hagan said the men had been beaten with blunt instruments and had been stabbed"
See also:

15 May 02 | Northern Ireland
Two men found dead at roadside
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories