BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Wednesday, 15 May, 2002, 21:13 GMT 22:13 UK
Search for man's remains ended
Police have searched several sites in Monaghan
Police have searched several sites in Monaghan
The search in the Irish Republic for the body of Charlie Armstrong, who disappeared more than 20 years ago, has been called off.

Irish police had been excavating at a site near the border in County Monaghan for three weeks.

But late on Wednesday the Commission for the Location of Victims' Remains said it was terminating the search.

Charlie Armstrong
Charlie Armstrong was abducted in 1981

The father of five from Crossmaglen in County Armagh went missing in 1981 on his way to Mass.

He is one of 'The Disappeared' who is believed to have been murdered by the IRA and secretly buried during the Troubles.

A number of locations had been searched near Carrickmacross, not far from the border with Northern Ireland.

In a statement, the commission said it had been conscious from the outset that the search might be unsuccessful.

"Even though the Armstrong family had been made aware that there could be no assurance of success, this result must still be a bitter disappointment to them," stated joint commissioners John P Wilson and Sir Kenneth Bloomfield.

"They have our sincere and heartfelt sympathy at this difficult time and, we are sure, they also have the sympathy of the wider community. We hope that this is of some comfort to them."

The issue of the Disappeared was highlighted in March 1999 after the IRA admitted killing nine people and gave a commitment to help find their graves.

Excavations

The bodies of three victims were found at unmarked graves after being pinpointed by an IRA intermediary.

After massive excavations of sites on both sides of the Northern Ireland border, the remains of Eamon Molloy, who disappeared in 1975 were found.

John McClory, 17, and Brian McKinney, 23, who were thought to have been murdered in 1978, were later discovered.

Six other bodies have never been found.

See also:

20 May 00 | Northern Ireland
Searches over for Disappeared
15 May 00 | Northern Ireland
Shift in search for IRA victim
13 May 00 | Northern Ireland
Search continues for IRA victims
02 May 00 | Northern Ireland
Search for Disappeared restarts
01 May 00 | Northern Ireland
New victims search welcomed
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories