| You are in: World: Africa | ||||||||
|
|
Friday, 10 May, 2002, 16:06 GMT 17:06 UK
Zimbabwe talks postponed
Many MDC supporters say there is nothing to talk about
Talks in Zimbabwe between the government and the opposition to resolve differences over the presidential election appear to have collapsed.
The semi-official Herald newspaper reported that the talks, scheduled for Monday, have been shelved pending the outcome of an opposition legal challenge to President Robert Mugabe's election victory.
But the BBC's Lewis Machipisa in Harare says there is little chance of them being resurrected. The opposition Movement for Democratic Change alleges that the polls were rigged and has demanded a re-run of the voting. Many Western observers agree that there was a "climate of fear" during the poll, with opposition activists being attacked by government supporters. The government says the reports of violence were exaggerated, fuelled by an international campaign against it. 'Arrogance' MDC secretary general Welshman Ncube said the postponement was indicative of Zanu-PF's "arrogance and determination to suppress our freedoms" according to the French news agency, AFP.
"Zanu-PF is not ready for talks," he told the agency. "They're gravely mistaken if they think MDC needs the talks. Zanu-PF needs the talks." He said the MDC would now resort to various forms of resistance. "We'll use all means necessary to have our freedoms restored," he said. Mr Ncube said the MDC leadership was under pressure from members not to continue talking with Zanu-PF. 'False stories' Justice Minister Patrick Chinamasa, who is leading the Zanu-PF delegation to the talks, has written to the Nigerian and South African mediators in the dialogue "asking for the talks to be deferred because of a number of new development, said the Herald. "My delegation believes that the adjournment of the dialogue should be extended until the finalisation of the matter now before the court," he said.
The Herald also cited the "planting of false stories in the media" as one of the reasons for the postponement. This was an apparent reference to a report made by the MDC and later retracted of the decapitation of an opposition activist by Zanu-PF supporters. Four journalists have been arrested in connection with the story, which was carried by the private media last month.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Africa stories now:
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||
|
Links to more Africa stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|