| You are in: UK: Wales | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Friday, 10 May, 2002, 14:01 GMT 15:01 UK
Activist leaves Israeli church siege
The siege of the Church of the Nativity has ended
A south Wales man is one of 10 foreign peace activists who have left the siege at the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem.
The high-profile siege ended on Friday morning, after five weeks of intense negotiations.
Last Thursday, he was one of a group of international activists who managed to break through the cordon of Israeli soldiers surrounding the church compound in Manger Square. The campaigners had taken in rucksacks of food and medical aid. As part of the deal that ended the siege, 13 Palestinian militants were exiled from the West Bank - they have now arrived in Cyprus - and another 26 were exiled to the Gaza Strip. The pro-Palestinian peace activists, from the International Solidarity Movement, were the last to leave the building.
On Thursday morning, they were led out by an Israeli police escort. Georgina Reeves, a member of the International Solidarity Movement has said that her colleagues were "removed from the basilica and they were taken to an unknown destination by the Israelis." Ms Reeves said that a human rights expert in was standing by for when the 10 were granted access to a lawyer. The Israeli army has said the activists were being questioned by police. Israel has said it is likely they would be deported. Worried parents Andrew's parents have spoken of the ordeal over the last week as they waited for news of their son. His parents had no idea their son was even in Israel - they thought he was in Bristol, and only found out of his involvement through his friends. "It has been a nightmare," said Mrs Hillman, "It seems to be never ending". "We have been watching all the press reports, but I am glad to say it is nearing the end now and hopefully Alister will be home soon." Four Americans, a Dane, two Swedes, a Canadian and an Irish citizen were Mr Hillman's fellow activists in the siege.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Wales stories now:
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Wales stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|