| You are in: Education | ||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, 9 May, 2002, 12:20 GMT 13:20 UK
Call to boycott research scrutiny
Academics say the system is unfair
University staff have voted to boycott the "destructive" cycle of assessing research work, which determines which departments win funding - and which can face the axe.
They are to call on members to refuse to be involved with the exercise, the next round of which is due for 2006. The union said academics had become concerned about the "destructive impact" of the Research Assessment exercise (RAE) and the bureaucracy that went with it on individuals' career prospects in universities. In particular, concerns were expressed about the poor record of the RAE on equal opportunities and women working in higher education. MPs also critical Universities choose which of their staff to enter for the RAE. Their research work is then graded from a level 5* downwards. After the latest round, which was concluded this spring, only departments which had achieved the higher grades got any research money. The Commons education select committee criticised the system in a report last month. The MPs said the it had produced some improvements but the way the exercise was conducted damaged the morale of university staff. "It also stands accused of distorting research practice, ruining academic careers and contributing to the closure of university departments," they said. 'Lost faith' The resolutions passed in Eastbourne tell union representatives to campaign for the funding bodies and government to abandon any plans to start work on the 2006 assessment round. The general secretary, Sally Hunt, said the system was unfair. "Academics and university staff have completely lost faith in the RAE and the ability of senior management to pick and choose who is entered for assessment. "Unless ministers and vice-chancellors are prepared to abandon current plans for the next round of assessment in 2006, and enter into negotiations with staff about an appropriate replacement, then we will have no other option than to boycott the process." A spokesperson for the Department for Education said the funding council was already reviewing the working of the RAE. "The government remains committed to supporting research, that's why an extra £30m has been made available for high quality research next year."
|
See also:
Top Education stories now:
Links to more Education stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Education stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|