| You are in: World: Americas | ||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Thursday, 9 May, 2002, 02:42 GMT 03:42 UK
US pipe-bomb suspect in court
Helder was denied bail
A 21-year-old American student has appeared in court on charges of domestic terrorism for allegedly planting a series of pipe bombs in rural post boxes in several US states, injuring six people.
The FBI said the suspect - described as "armed and dangerous" - confessed to planting 18 explosive devices. If convicted, he could face life in prison. He was arrested on Tuesday following a high-speed chase on a motorway - the FBI had issued a nationwide alert for his capture. Bomb notes Judge Robert McQuaid denied a request for Mr Helder be turned over to the custody of his parents, saying he believed the art student was both a flight risk and a possible danger to society.
Mr Helder was arrested after his car was spotted by a motorist in the town of Lovelock, Nevada. He reportedly threw a gun out of his car window shortly before his capture, and police were called to check for further explosive devices in his car. Eighteen pipe bombs had been found in mailboxes in Nebraska, Colorado, Iowa, Texas and Illinois since last Friday. Six people were injured by the devices, although none were seriously hurt. Federal government officials had described the bombings as "acts of domestic terrorism", and said notes had been found nearby warning of further "attention getters". Most of the bombs reportedly contained similar anti-government notes signed by "someone who cares" and which complained about limits imposed on personal freedom. Latest attack In recent years, the United States has seen several acts of terrorism carried out by its own citizens.
In 1998, Theodore Kaczynski, known as the Unabomber, was sentenced to four terms of life in prison without parole for a 17-year bombing spree which left three people dead and many injured. Last June, Gulf War veteran Timothy McVeigh was executed for the 1995 bombing of a federal building in Oklahoma that killed 168 people and injured hundreds of others. Following the 11 September attacks on the US, the country was hit by a series of anthrax attacks which the FBI believes was probably the work of a US national.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Americas stories now:
Links to more Americas stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Americas stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|